Principal's Message > History of Allen School

The history of Allen school and its service to San Bruno can be traced back to 1910 with the foundation of Edgemont School. Old Edgemont School opened in 1910 on the site of the current district offices.
New Edgemont School at Angus and Elm opened in 1941 with nine classrooms. Six more classrooms were added in 1946. The offices, cafeteria and kindergarten (now the Media Center) were added in 1956 when the school was renamed in honor of Decima M. Allen.
Decima M. Allen was San Bruno's librarian from 1937 to 1955 as well as a 25-year member of the school board and president of the Edgemont PTA. She assumed the library when it operated from a notions store at 549 Easton and was responsible for its transition to a modern library, retiring shortly after assisting with the move to the current site. She passed away in August 1974 in Riverside.